Tim Finney is an experienced senior plaintiff class action lawyer who has supervised legal teams on several large commercial class actions.
Tim specialises in shareholder class actions, having worked on a dozen such cases including claims against insurers and company auditors. He also has substantial experience in complex financial services and financial product litigation, including claims against banks, large trustee companies, financial advisors and brokers. Prior to co-founding Phi Finney McDonald, Tim managed the commercial class actions group in one of Australia’s largest plaintiff law firms.
At Phi Finney McDonald, Tim supervises complex litigation with an approach that combines high quality legal work with efficient case management and an emphasis on strategy. As a manager of litigation teams, he is focused on encouraging junior and mid-level lawyers to develop their skills and confidence in a challenging but supportive team-based environment.
Accolades and Awards
- Doyles Guides 2018, Lawyer (Recommended), Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution – Victoria
- Doyles Guide 2017, Lawyer (Recommended), Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution – Victoria
- Slater and Gordon Lawyers Chair Award Winner 2016, ‘Take the Lead’ Category
- Monash University Law Prize for Law, Gender and Feminism, 2006
- Tim Finney, ‘Pleading defendant knowledge in securities class actions: are allegations premised on inferences sufficient?’ (2018) 31(4) Commercial Law Quarterly, 21
- Ben Phi and Tim Finney, ‘Establishing causation in Australian shareholder class actions’ (2015), Precedent (Sydney, NSW), No. 129, Jul/Aug 2015
- LLB (Hons), BA (Hons), MA, Monash University
- GDLP, College of Law